Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Guest-Star, Here I Come! Week 5. "JUST DO IT"





I have been struggling with this post.  I started 3 different posts and I can't seem to commit to one.  Now, I'm actually debating whether I should start a whole new one again.  

My mind is extremely busy.  I have lots of 'shoulds' happening in my head and I'm just trying to keep up.  To be honest, I don't feel like I'm thriving.  I feel like I'm surviving right now.  I feel like just throwing in the towel...especially with this post and calling it a day.  But, there's magic in 'doing the work'.  So, here I am, sitting and waiting....waiting for a miracle.  Waiting for a some post to emerge.  I'm typing and backspacing...typing and backspacing.  

Ugh!  Grrrrrrr!  Pssshhhh!  Aaaaaahhhhh!  I'm looking around to see if there are any distractions for me to tend to.  "Oh, I forgot to call this person back...I should call them now", "I didn't do my homework yet for my workshop tomorrow...I should get on that first", "God, I'm hungry...I should eat something first and maybe it'll get my creative juices flowing", "I should give Bells a bath now", "I have to finish reading that book", "I gotta look at my calendar and plan stuff out for this week", "I gotta call my mother", etc........Oh, the tortured artist!!!!  Save meeeeeeee pleeeeeeease!  

All the ways I'm trying to keep myself from 'doing the work'.  

As stressed out as I get with writing my blog sometimes...my blog is my saving grace.  If I threw in the towel each time I felt stressed, I wouldn't have a blog...no posts, no writing, no nothing.  

I am so grateful right now.  Because I did it...and I'm doing it.  I don't know how but, it's a miracle that I got things done.  Come to think of it...all I had to do was sit down and start.  God/The Universe took care of the rest.  Just like this post now.  :)  Thank you.  

Huh.  I got here pretty quickly.  Only 1/3 into this post and I'm seeing things differently.  This is why 'doing the work' is so important for us artists.  You never know where 'the work' will take you.  Until you do it.  

We are a group that believes in the unknown and the impossibles.  We dream and envision the most magnificent things for us and the world around us.  But, the unknown and the impossibles are scary...because we just don't know for sure.  We want to have control over what happens and how it happens and when we realize that it's not in our hands...we panick and/or hide.  This is because we've allowed the scary things to get bigger than us.  Like a monster that we don't know how to fight...so we just give up.

But the monster isn't bigger than us.  No, WE are much much bigger.  And if anything, when we reclaim our power and take the first step...the monster actually gets scared.  And usually out of fear, the monster will bring out the big guns...as I like to say, "Shit's gonna hit the fan".  Things are going to get even more chaotic...and it's going to stir up things in you to hold you back.  It will use whatever method(s) to keep you in a state of fear, confusion, immobility, apathy.  These distractions can come in any form....big and small.  And in the most clever ways.  Don't ever think you're smarter than the monster...because you're not.  The only way to beat it is to simply 'do the work'.  

I don't know how many of you are feeling this way.  But, if you kind of know what I'm talking about...DO THE WORK.  And 'the work' is different for everybody.  You know better than anyone what your work is.  It's something you want, want to do, but, it literally feels like an army is holding you back.  Just do it.  Don't even think about finishing it...just start it.  This is for your survival.  

I wrote a post some time last year called, To Survive or To Thrive.  And I committed to thriving.  But, you have to survive first.  You have to be here to 'do your work'.  And the world needs your work.  You came into this world, this planet, to share YOU.  Let's see YOU.  

As I write this, I realize I'm writing this for me.  It's a struggle at times but, the work must be done.  No way around it.  I chose my profession and I'm committed to seeing it all the way through.  All the way. 

I hope you don't understand this post...yes, DON'T understand.  Because you're the person who just does the work.  Resistance??  What is that??  But, if you do..well then, it's time to get crackin.

In the end...I'm not 100% satisfied with this post...nor have I been with previous posts...but, the point is to just get it done.  I put in my time for the day and I am gooooooood.  (SIGH)  :)

One of my fave quotes....
There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, nor how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is on a queer, divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.
                                                                     -Martha Graham


Have a great and thriving week.  :)

with LOVE,

Alex

  


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like it was written by me. Word for word...its creepy. All the same thoughts course through my brain when I'm writing music or working on a new track. I find some pretty stupid things to distract me, but I quickly find that I have nothing cooler to do. So I just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel, but keep thriving Alex, it's what you are meant to be doing!!

    ReplyDelete