Monday, September 12, 2011

Television, here I come! Week 36. 'Resources for Actors - My TOP Picks!'!






Retouches by:  Natalia Fedner Design
*Natalia gives you two versions when she retouches.  The left ones are more saturated, because it's your thumbnail pictures that get you in the door.  It makes you 'POP' more when casting directors are literally scrolling through itty bitty pictures.  The right ones are for print, more natural.  She's such a smart cookie.  

My Top Picks for Actors!  Here's a list of everything that's helped me personally through my journey as an actress.  Hope it helps you too.  :)


Training:
Carter Thor Studio - Cameron Thor and Alice Carter
Scene Study
This is my birthplace as an artist.  Cameron and Alice are the parents to my creative life.  My first acting school and studied here for 5 1/2 years.  I learned how to be an actress and most importantly, how to be an artist here.  It's truly a family-like environment.  Most of my closest friends out here are from the Studio. And if you're daring enough, you'll have many opportunities to produce, direct, write, act, stage manage, here.  They encourage their actors to create!  I will forever be grateful.  :)

Larry Moss Studio - Larry Moss
Scene Study
This is one amazing teacher.  The depth of his soul is a gift to be around for students.  And the community is unbelievably supportive and tight.  You must experience him.  Larry comes to town only twice a year so the workshop is an intensive.  4 Days total, you get to go up twice (either Monday and Wednesday, OR Tuesday and Thursday).  Goes from 9am - 6pm.  Cost is $700.  Audit $100.  Trust me, it's worth it.  You gotta sign up with them via their website first.  There will be a mass email sent as soon as a date is set for Larry's workshops here.  Reply back immediately...spots are filled extremely quickly.  I'm committed to train with him whenever  he's here.  I love him.

Margie Haber Studio - Courtney Burr
On-Camera Auditioning Technique
Courtney is a hoot and he's so good.  Our class starts at 6pm and usually go to 1am.  It's a small and intimate class, about 12 people.  This is a one-month intensive and we meet twice a week.  You learn something new every class...and it's very specific to auditioning.  There are techniques!  It's taking all that wonderful scene study training and tightening it up and tweaking it to work for film.  I feel excited about auditioning now!!!  How many people can say that?!?!  I love him!!



Workshops:
Act Now Network - Casting Director Workshops
Usually by referral, you audition to get in.  No member fee.  You get a consultant who will guide you..based on your specific goal.  Michelle is my consultant..she is soooo awesome.  Ask for her if you're interested.  I love this place.  I've had much luck here.  This is also where I did my two agent showcases and now I'm signed!  I also took a 4-week commercial workshop with Chris Game here last year, and literally two weeks after, I was getting callbacks and avails.  I booked about 5 commercials since then.

ActorRated - Free workshops
I went to some of their free workshops.  You really do learn a lot from them.  And they're FREE.  Just go out of curiosity.  They cover everything here.  Check them out.  Get a StarCard and you get lots of perks....like discounts to places and things you use as actors.  



Photographers:  They are all very reasonably priced.  
Stephanie Nelson Photography - Stephanie Nelson
I love her!  I was referred to her by my friend Dylan.  She's an actress herself so she knows the drill.  And she's so good at what she does!  She was professional and efficient AND the coolest!  

Click West Photo - John Phillips
John is amazing!  He's another actor/photographer/professional!  I loved ALL my shots by him!  And he gives you the cd of all your photos right after your shoot...if you can hang out for like an hour.  Check out his website...and see who the homepage girl is.  ;)

Cammy Kinney Photography - Cammy Kinney
One of my best friends of all time.  Photographer and friend extraordinaire.  If you ever need badass photos, she's the one.  Cam's got a unique style and her forte is shooting edgier things however, she'll do headshots for friends.  



Retouches/Website Building:
Natalia Fedner Design - Natalia Fedner
I met her at one of the ActorRated free workshops.  She was the speaker.  She's extremely knowledgeable because she's an actress herself, and she has interned for few casting offices.  She knows what's up.  She does all my retouching!  Generally, it will cost you about $40 to do basic to medium retouching for photos but, Natalia charges $25 per picture plus she gives you an extra version for your thumbnail!  She also does websites.  Check her out.

Another multi-talented friend of mine.  She is the co-founder of Brains of Minvera.  She does websites too!  But, if you wanted to learn the skill for yourself, she does private sessions or workshops to teach you how to build your own on Wordpress.  I'm going to schedule a session with her soon because I want to learn Wordpress.  :)



Reel:
M. Constant Pictures - Dylan Bell
Dylan has his own production company so I asked him for help with my reel.  He helped me shoot a scene and he cut the reel together for me.  Amazing, Amazing!  Love him!!!  




Headshot Reproduction:
I love this place and the people!  The staff is amazing!  Especially Stacy!  He's so dope.  I recently got new headshots printed, new business cards, and new postcards.  AND, because of my photographer, Stephanie Nelson, I got 20% off everything!  

I loved this place until Argentum.  I went to the Reproductions in New York so naturally, I stuck with them out here.  Tommy always helped me out.  He's another dope dude!  Depending on your agent, you'll get 10% off here.




Marketing/Creative Career Coach:
She is the best out there!  I took her workshop Sept. 09 and I've been a marketing monster since.  I feel more in control because she teaches you practical ways to take productive steps towards your dream.  Dallas says to make it in this business, it's 25% acting, and 75% marketing.  I believe that.  She's always a part of my blog posts, she's a part of all the 'ships' I send out.  The Accountability Buddy idea is all her.  I learned so much from her, it's only right to pass it on.  Check out her website and at least sign up for her free workshop.  You'll see what I'm talking about.  I love her!



Life Coach/Spirituality: 
Actor's Life Coaching - Justina Vail 
Justina's my life coach!  She's helping me tremendously in the most delicate way possible.  Since I've made the commitment to get to know myself and heal myself deeply, she helps me process things coming up and out in a healthy and new way.  

Kundalini - I go to Golden Bridge Yoga
Kundalini yoga is a BIG part of my life now.  Kundalini yoga is known as the 'Yoga of Awareness'.  It's my spiritual food and this is the most important, in my opinion.  This is the best way to love yourself, and heal yourself.  When you begin loving yourself, you'll see love and hope everywhere.  And the people there are lovely.  My favorite teacher, Tej.  :)   




Breakdowns/Audition/Submission Accounts:
Actors Access - Theatrical (mostly)
LA Casting - Commercial (mostly)
Casting Frontier - Commercial

Miscellaneous:
Samuel French - Books and Plays for actors, writers, directors, producers, etc.
ActorLikes - Let's get those StarMeters up by helping each other!
CastingAbout - Production info on everything, pretty much.  


Beauty:
Red lipstick - People are loving my red lipstick...I love my red lipstick too!  This particular red looks good on lots of people.  
MAC - Ruby Woo.  Lipliner is Cherry.  Classic look.  And sometimes I'll dab Chatterbox (looks like a bubblegum pink) on top of Ruby Woo...such an awesome color if you're feeling a lil funky.  


AND for those who are curious about how the Accountability Buddy project is going, here's a video!  Sean and I had a blast and we were so productive.  Also, announcing new buddy!!!  Check it out.  :)





This Week's Goal:  More Margie Haber, more kundalini, mail out some postcards and new headshots to casting directors I know.  Talk to my new buddy.  I'm just going to take it easy this week...I'm going to squeeze in a Korean Spa day.  Oh yeah, and gotta get an oil change for my car.   




Have an amazing week ya'll!!!



with LOVE,

Alex






















No comments:

Post a Comment