Monday, May 9, 2011

Television, here I come! Week 18. 'I'm a NOVICE all the way!'

Hello Errrrrrrbody!!



Before I get down to business....

How cute is my mother.
Yesterday was Mother's Day and I got to talk to my mom briefly.  She said she's seeing a change in me.  You see, I have been known to have a temper...a short fuse...especially with my mother.  But she said this last visit home, I was more calm and tolerant.  Oh mom.  My mom and I went to the Korean spa together and I got to look at her...really look at her...her face.  She had her eyes closed, relaxing and I quietly stared at her.  I looked at her eyes, her nose, her lips, her cheeks, her hair, her forehead, her ears, her skin, her barely there wrinkles, her barely there pores, her barely there crows feet, and I thought to myself, "Holy, if I'm anything like her, I'm going to age pretty damn well!  Holla!"  And then I thought, "Wow, she's so pretty.  Wow, I feel like I'm seeing my mom for the first time."  I love you mom.  Sorry if I've been a handful but, I couldn't have become the person I am today, the person I am loving and proud of if it weren't for a mom like you.  I can't wait to be a mommy myself one day and love another human being like you love me.  And probably only then will I realize just how much you love me.  Thank you for never giving up on me and thank you for believing in me.  Happy Mother's Day and I hope I can say that to you for many many many more years.  :)  I love you.



So many amazing things happening already.  And I have only been back for a couple of days.

Projects I had worked on are gradually coming to fruition.

1.  Fuzzy Connections, a short I was privileged to Co-produce has been accepted to 2 festivals!  The LA Comedy Festival and Dances With Films!  The LA Comedy Festival screening is this Sunday, the 15th @ 8pm @ the Acme Theater.  Here's the link to purchase tickets.
http://www.laughstub.com/buyTicket.cfm?showTimingID=83292&buy
 
And our big screening...our World Premiere screening will be at the Dances With Films.  I believe the dates are tentatively June 4th and 5th.  I will keep you posted.

I make a funny cameo in it too....looking like an Asian Peggy Bundy.  Hope you can come and support and I'd love to see you.  :)



2.  Another screening for a sitcom pilot I'm in!  It's called 3 Guys and a Couch by Legacy Pictures Entertainment.  The screening will be held on May 26th, Thursday, from 8pm-10pm @ Dim Mak Studios/Cinespace.  Another funny role I have.  It's sure to give you a tickle or two.  Hope you can make it!!!

3.  As soon as I got off the plane in LA, I received a voicemail from a production company I had sent in a voice demo to early last year....yes, you read that right.....not early this year, but, last year, 2010.  She wanted to see if I was still interested in voice over work so she can submit me to some of her clients.  Uh, yeaaah!  It was the coolest Welcome Back from the Universe and Hollywood.  Thank you!


This week is going to be one busy week.  And so is the next.

This week I go into rehearsal for Larry Moss's intensive workshop.  My scene is from the play 'The Owl and the Pussycat' by Bill Manoff.  It's a two person play and it is hilarious.  I play Doris, a  prostitute/model/actress.  There was a movie in 1970 with Barbara Streisand and George Segal.  I haven't seen it but, read some reviews online and apparently Ms. Barbara did a fantastic job.  I have to memorize about 30 pages for class.

Gulp.

I hear that Larry doesn't let anything slide in class.  If your part requires an accent, you better have it down.  If you need to have specific props and costume, better have them.  I'm ready to have my ass kicked.  I got his book The Intent To Live and it's a meaty one.  Give it a read....it's genius.

So I had signed up for a workshop with Bob Lambert, CD for All My Children, and I was just informed that the show has been cancelled.  I emailed my consultant to see if I can pull out of that one and switch into Criminal Minds with Scott David.  I'm sure that won't be a problem.  I can totally see myself on Criminal Minds...can't you?  :)

Because I've been gone for a over a month, I feel like I'm back to the basics...back to square one...starting from scratch.  But this is a career that no matter what, it'll always feel like the beginning, everyday.  You have to wake up and start all over again.  Now I can either let that frustrate me and stress me out OR, I can, like how I saw my mother, like it was for the first time....go into it everyday like a brand new day, brand new adventure.  I think it's important to behave and work like a professional but, feel like a novice.  Feel the excitement like a novice would.  This is what the trip did for me...helped me feel like I'm new to this again.  I'm nervous and excited about starting class again.  I'm nervous and excited about auditioning again.  I'm nervous and excited!!!

So, how are you feeling??  Are you the novice feeling like the frustrated professional?  OR The professional feeling like the grateful and excited novice?  Let's choose the latter and see what happens.  :)




This week's goal:  Rehearsal at least 5 days this week.  Some are all day.
                             Memorize!  Memorize!  Memorize!!!


Hope you have a great week.



with LOVE,

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment