Sunday, February 6, 2011

Television, Here I Come! Week 6. 'Online Marketing'

                                                                     Click West Photo






CAN I GET A DRUM ROLL PLEEEEEASE!!!!

I'm proud to present my very 1st Press Release for a feature film I'm in called 'Terror Bytes'.  Read the article!  Very cool!  Anticipating a Fall 2011 release.  I felt like throwing up when I saw it.  From happiness.  :P

My goal for this past week was to take it easy.  But, a last minute workshop totally threw me off.  But, it's all good.  This was a free workshop that was hosted by Natalia Fedner, "Internet Marketing for Actors:  Take Control of your Career".  Check out her website because she does websites and retouches photos, both at VERY AFFORDABLE prices....and she's really GOOD.  I have 6 photos she's worked on already (she also gives you 2 versions - one for online and one for print - you'll see why, keep reading).  But, here are a few so you can see her skills..



 
So, I'm a pretty active participant when it comes to the various Social Media platforms like Facebook and Twitter, plus I follow Mitch Joel and Seth Godin, my marketing gurus and I keep up with their blogs all the time so I thought, "Yeah, why not, maybe I can learn a thing or two."  Uh, Wrong!  I learned a ton!!!!  Natalia, an actress herself, stays in the loop by interning for casting offices.  She definitely knew what she was talking about.  I walked away so impressed by her and with so much information, I didn't know what to do with myself.  I wanted to write this blog ASAP so I can share all the amazing tips I got from her.  Ready??

She broke it down.  From Headshots --> Websites --> Online Etiquette --> Online Resources for Actors --> Online Rip-Offs --> Interning.
Two hours went by so quickly and I couldn't quite process everything.  But, here's what I got.

*  It's all about ONLINE/ELECTRONIC submissions now.  Hopefully, you have both LA Casting and Actors Access accounts....if you don't, what are you waiting for??  Hmmm??  And because of this, make sure your thumbnail photo is amazing.  Seriously.  THIS IS WHAT GETS YOU IN THE DOOR!  Your actual headshot is just for reference.  I love this tip from her...with your thumbnail, saturate that baby (don't go overboard so you look like you have a crazy tan),  but do it so that you'll 'POP'....and then your actual headshot can be the more natural you.

*  How many photos should you have for each account?  At least 4.  No more than 7 or 8. 

*  Make sure your headshot looks good in Black and White...I don't mean take B & W photos, nor do I mean get them printed in B & W, but CD's will make photocopies so, it should still look like you after the photocopy.

*  You know when photographers tell you to wear bright colors??  And we end up bringing blacks or muted colors??  WEAR BRIGHT COLORS!  Blacks are okay, but, steer clear of muted colors for sure.  It makes a difference...can you imagine scrolling through hundreds to thousands of small photos??  The CD's literally scroll.  Bright shirts will help you be more impactful...especially for commercial shots.  Oh, and NO PATTERNS.

*  Communicate with your photographer.  CD's want to see YOU, not your photographers skills.  You don't have to have fancy photos.  I've been getting extremely great feedback on my new headshots.  Click West Photo.  Plus, tell John I sent you and he'll give you 25% off.  Amazing price.  I get no kick-backs..it's all love.  Thank you John.  :)

*  Submission ratio between LA Casting and Actors Access.  Yes, granted that LA Casting is more for commercials and Actors Access is more for theatrical, but if there is a certain project that's listed on both sites...go with Actors Access.  It's just simple mathematics.  More people use LA Casting than Actors Access so go with the one where you don't have as many competition.  I've been more active on LA Casting and since I want to book television shows this year, Actors Access is my first pick now.

*  Unfortunately, CD's have their favorite agencies, so their clients will be bumped up to the top of the list in submissions.  HOWEVER, did you know that if you add a video you will get bumped up too??  Any video will help you but, of course, don't do a disservice to yourself by adding just any old thing.  CD's will watch and you don't want to negate anything..especially if they clicked on you for a reason.

*  Be honest on your resume.  Whether it's credits or special skills, you don't want to find yourself in an uncomfortable situation.  I heard this from Dylann Brander too.   She said they will check your imdb page and they will test you on your special skills.  Yikes.  Guess what a little birdie told me...Groundlings and Second City offer one FREE class of Improv.  Take it.  Then, at least you can say you do have Improv background and you won't be lying.  Hollaaaa.  :)

*  Websites.  Flash or HTML??  Don't get crazy with it.  The simpler the better.  But, if you really want to use Flash, as Natalia put it, "Use it like salt".  As actors, our focus is to just get the most basic and clean message across.  Also, make sure your website is phone-friendly.  If it doesn't upload fast enough on their phone, eh, moving on.  Time is money in this industry.  Make it easy, not fancy!

*  Website Vernacular:  What do they mean??  Natalia said to think of it like Real Estate.
    Hosting - You renting (GoDaddy.com)
    Domain - Your address (GoDaddy.com)
    Website - Your house

*  Webmail.  Get another email address other than your main.  For security reasons.  When you purchase a domain name through GoDaddy, you get a free one.  Look into it.

*  Links.  Anything that's yours..link them together.  This will help you get bumped up on Google, plus you're easier to find.  For example, just today, I added my Youtube Channel and Personal Blog links to my IMDB page.  Some of my friends and I click on one another's imdb pages so our StarMeter goes up.  My StarMeter is now at a steady 5-digit number, used to be in the 6-7 digits.  (And with all sites, personalize them...if you can, for example, with imdb, you have the option of choosing your vanity URL-www.imdb.me/alexandrachoi).  Keep in mind though you can be "Google-able", Google arranges the order in how they appear by how much traffic there is for a particular site.  And by linking all my sites together, my online presence is stronger and it'll bump each site up.  It's like that saying, "United we stand, divided we fall"...all my different sites are working together now as a team.  To learn a little more, read Dallas Travers's Blog. Super helpful. 

*  How Appropriate is it to use Facebook to contact industry professionals??  Well, everybody's different so you'll have to feel it out with the individual.  Only "friend" someone you've worked with, or had some sort of contact with...at least.  But, if you really want to reach out, just write a nice message first to assess the situation.  Some professionals use Facebook as much as we do...some don't.  Dylann Brander, specifically said she uses it for personal reasons, not professional.  I've had other CD's "friend" me but, they have thousands of friends.  Again, everybody's different.  Use the online platform as your advantage, not disadvantage.  If you're super personal on your facebook page, create another one, like a Fan Page.  Yada yada yada...I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

*  Get IMDBPro. 

*  Interning.  I'm going to look into this myself.  The best place that I know of to find which casting offices are hiring is Alex's Info

Phew!  That's all I got!


Last Week's Goal:  Vision Board, Figure out what to do with my Vlogs, Korean Spa.

Update:  Done, Done, and Done.  I started painting my vision board...I'm going to put EVERYTHING I want to manifest on that beautiful board.  :) 

And I know what I'm going to do with my Vlogs!  I've been talking to a few friends about my new idea...they love it.  This makes me so excited.  It makes my soul happy just thinking about it.  I'm writing all the ideas down now.  I'll keep you posted.  :)

Korean Spa, I love you.  Went there twice this week.  I usually hang out there for at least 3-4 hours.  I come out feeling brand spankin new. 

This Week's Goal:  I start a new workshop (4 classes) this week with Michelle Levy, who's with Marci Liroff.  They usually cast features but, they're also working on a half hour Paul Reiser sitcom.  And they're open to Non-Unions. 

Also, I'm researching some Theatrical agents now.  I do believe it's time.  And since I'll be getting Taft-Hartleyed this month, all the more reason!  I'm ready, I'm ready!  So, this week I'm going to pick a few agencies and write a cover letter. 

Then, I'm going to go over my LA Casting and Actors Access accounts.  Make sure all information is up-to-date. 





I love this year already and it's only February.  How many more amazing things can happen??  I still have 10 more months left!  :)

Have you checked your LA Casting and Actors Access accounts lately??  Are you up-to-date?   Photos, video, resume??  Check them this week with me.  Also, if you're also looking for a manager or representation, what do you need??  Headshots?  Cover letter?  Begin it this week.  Starting is the hardest but, you can do it.  Just take care of one thing this week.  :)


I listen to songs on repeat...this week's jam. 



Enjoy your week and have fun!  I am!


with LOVE,

Alex                                                                                        

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex!

    Your site is awesome and a joy to read.

    This information about online submissions is really helpful to me. Thanks for putting it out there.

    I think I am just as excited about you booking that TV show for yourself as you are. Go get 'em, girl!

    Sincerely,

    Mary Gallagher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary. I'm glad it helped you! Have a beautiful day. :)

    ReplyDelete