Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hold me ACCOUNTABLE


I recently watched "Secretariat" with friends Rahi, Laurence, and Case.
Can I just say....I L-O-V-E-D it.
Penny Chenery-Tweedy's story hit a nerve with me. Plus, I'm a sucker for stories about always following your heart, at all cost, discovering your destiny, overcoming hardships, never giving up, and finding true happiness and love in the end. For example, "Kung Fu Panda"...balled my eyes out.

So, this brings me to what I really want to tell you.......





DemGirlzGotBallz is baaaaaack!!!!

Who is DemGirlzGotBallz??? We are the hottest, baddest, and fiercest group of women who love comedy. Our forte is sketch and parody.

We've been on "hibernate" mode for some months now because I'm a notorious procrastinator. A little backstory...
Spring/Summer of 2009, I became reacquainted with the comedian in me. Lucky for me, one of my closest friends, Brian is a stand-up comic so I began tagging along to see stand-ups, improvs, and sketches. Comedy...I fell in love with it no doubt. At shows I was thoroughly enjoying, I felt like I would lose control over myself and jump on stage with them...like my body twitched and I would have to try so hard to sit still...because I wanted to do what they were doing.

Poor Brian had to hear a trillion times "I want to do that", "I think I can do that", "I'm funny, right?", "Damn! I really want to do stand-up!", yada yada yada. Then, one of the best thing that could have been said, was said. So Brian tells me that apparently, in the "comedy world", there is this stigma that good-looking women are NOT funny. ??? I thrive on challenges like this. My "Bring It" attitude gathered up a group of talented, badass beauties and put on one successful show! Holla. DGGB was here.

DGGB was making a name for itself. Amazing opportunities seemed to be in our future and amazing people were popping up and willing to help. Everything was so easy...things just clicked or fell into place. And the more amazing and easier it got, the more I wanted to give up on it. I guess I got scared. I'm still scared. I believe in the group whole-heartedly. I believe it has its place here...now...today. It's special...it really is. And because it is so special, I know we'll do special things too. But, in order for this to happen, I have to get my mind right. It ain't easy, that's for sure. Now that I have my blog and vlogs, aside from basic acting commitments, I can easily say "Eh, too much on my plate" and avoid it altogether. But, it's not too much. If I can just manage my time and make some lifestyle adjustments, it's completely do-able.

So, I'm working on that...time management. Plus, I now have a business partner, Jeannine! Jeannine's one of my best friends...like my sister. I tend to be the organizer or list-maker out of most of my friends but, Jeannine is that for me so, she's perfect! She will definitely hold me accountable and make sure I stay on track. Yay! Welcome Jeannine and Thank You!

Penny Tweedy, you're my hero. You've inspired me and lit a fire under my ass. I am hungry once again. I'm ready for changes, adventures, obstacles, and opportunities. Looking back, I feel very guided and protected by Providence throughout my life...I have nothing to worry about. But, I'm not gonna lie...I'm terrified. This is a good sign.

More good sign...magical things are happening. Talented friends are offering help and randomly people are asking about us. It feels as though God/Universe is shifting things into gear for us to begin our thang. We have some cool things in the works already. :)

Now that I've gone public with my vision for DGGB, I hope you all hold me accountable as well. Since I'm a woman of my words, I know I'll do whatever it takes to live up to it. But, I'm excited. I can't wait to make you all proud!

Let's rock it out DemGirlzGotBallz!
Thank you from my bottomless heart.
Alex

2 comments: