Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Television, here I come! Week 27. 'SCARY or DIE!!!!!!'


Having some Photo Booth fun while writing.  :)



 
I am so ECSTATIC about this!  My first horror film!!!  I am so proud to be a part of an upcoming feature film called 'SCARY OR DIE'!!!  If you used to stay up late to watch Tales from the Crypt and The Twilight Zone like me, then you're gonna LOVE this!!  It's a horror anthology…about 4 or 5 scccaaaaaarrrry short stories.  I'm the female lead in the vampire story!!!  It's due to come out this Fall…probably just in time for Halloween!  It's produced by Canal Street Films and Bleuman Entertainment.  Canal Street Films, known for 'Maneater' and 'Uninvited' (for you horror buffs), and Bleuman Entertainment is Corbin Bleu's production company.  And Corbin stars in one of the shorts!  Here's our trailer!  Take a look but be warned….it's not for the faint.  ;)





So, how did you like the trailer???  Looks good, riiiight?!!!
Did you see how all grown up and handsome Corbin Bleu is now??  He's no longer the cute kid from High School Musical, that's for sure!


I feel as though I got very lucky with this project.  I worked with some amazing people...some are good friends now.  The producers and director....a dream.  Professionals.  One of the most professional sets I've been on.  I loved it.  


Are you wondering how I got the part?????  I have a cool story for you because I almost didn't get it THREE times!  :)






About a year ago, I was literally submitting myself on LA Casting and Actors Access everyday. Actually, I was obsessed with self submitting...I would log in more than 5 times a day to see if I missed anything.  I was auditioning everyday, sometimes twice or three times.  Both theatrical and commercial.  I was on a roll!  So, one day I see a breakdown, non-union short film, and they were looking for a young Korean girl.  Without hesitation, I submitted.


I get the audition.  But, guess what....last minute, I was ready to bail.  Why?  Well, I guess I got a little cocky.  I figured, "Eh, I've been auditioning a lot these days, I don't feel like going to this last one today...besides, it's all the way in Santa Monica.  Yeah, I'm gonna skip that one."  And that was that.  I was in front of the mirror washing my hands, looking at myself, acting out a scene by myself and then something told me to go back and check the breakdown again.  I go to my computer and pull up the breakdown for the audition.  There was a link to Igor's reel...the director.  I was super impressed.  Igor's a respected 2nd unit DP.  He's done a lot of stuff....A LOT.  This short was going to be Igor's directorial debut.  


I look at the clock.  Uh oh.  I had an hour, maybe, to get to Santa Monica from Koreatown.  Young Korean girl, young Korean girl, so I gotta look younger.  I print out the sides as fast as I can, throw on a blue t-shirt, skinny jeans, my riding boots, and I'm out the door.  I'm hauling ass and reading my lines.  By the grace of God, I get there on time.  Happy to be there but, nervous and frazzled like crazy.  It's my turn.  I get into the room.  I couldn't even think straight.  I see the producer/writer, director, casting director, and more producers.  I was physically in the room but, everything else about me was clearly not.  There I was, standing in front of them, sides in my hand, ready to begin.  Feeling unsure about my lines, feeling unsure about my Korean accent...I went for it.  


Cut to:  end of audition.  They had me try it a couple of different times.  I'm not too sure if I even took their notes or direction.  All I remember was nodding "uh huh, yes, ok, got it" but, truth be told, I was clueless and scattered.  As soon as I heard "Ok, great, thank you" from them, I couldn't get out of that room fast enough.  


I drove home really slowly that day.    


A couple of days later, I get a callback.  Yes, that's right, a callback.  Serious?!  Again, by the grace of God, I get another chance.  I felt more relaxed and focused.  I had no idea what was going to happen this time but, there was comfort in not being TOO prepared.  I just knew who this girl was, I felt like her already.  I walked back in the room.  They were all there.  They had the male lead there too to read with me.  No acting...that's what it felt like.  It was just me and Rahi talking.  It felt easy and still.  


I drove home slowly again.  


Few days passed and still no word.  Something in my gut wanted the part so badly but another part of me was just happy to have had a second chance.  I was sitting in my car waiting for a friend.  I took out my journal and started writing.  "Let it go.  Let it go.  Let it go.  But, I want the part!  Let it go.  Let it go.  If it's meant to be, it'll be.  Let it go.  Let it go."  I wrote this for about 2-3 pages, front and back.  My phone rang.  I answered, and it was Mike, the producer and writer.  I got the part.  I kid you not!  I thought I was hallucinating.  Of course, I accept and Mike tells me the shoot schedule.  OMFG.  Schedule conflict.  After all that, I have a schedule conflict.  I committed to another feature film and the shoot dates were the same!  I hung up the phone with Mike to see if I could work it out with the other group.  Nope, they couldn't.  I was so bummed.  I called Mike back and told him that I tried...and as much as I wanted to work with them, I couldn't because I already committed to the other project first.  And that was that.  As sad as I was, I knew it was the right thing to do....I followed my heart.


Next day, I get a phone call from Mike.  They switched around all cast and crew schedule to accommodate my schedule!  Whaaaaaaaaat!!!!!!  Can you believe how shocked I was?  I wanted to drop to my knees and cry because I was so grateful.  


Finally after our short was wrapped, I had a little heart to heart with the director.  Igor thanked me for my hard work and said he was happy with everything.  Then he brought up the dreaded audition...my first audition for them.  He said my nerves got the best of me that day and if it wasn't for Mike, I wouldn't have even gotten a callback.  Mike, who is also an actor as well, saw through the nerves and said "Let's give her one more shot."  


Wow, when it's meant to be, it'll be.  No matter what.  First, I didn't want to go to the audition.....second, I bomb it.... then the schedule conflict.  But, I tried my best...I did my part.  Then, I just had to let go.  I still feel like crying now when I think about it.  In hindsight...every moment was so magical.  Every moment.  


So, just do your best...in every moment...and then let go.  You just have to do your part and let God/Universe do its part.  Hope you have magical week!!!!










with LOVE,


Alex









No comments:

Post a Comment