Monday, September 17, 2012

'I Get Performance Anxiety'. Guest-Star, Here I Come! Week 38.




Dear Diary,


Here's my offering to you this week....


*  I got my first residual check in the mail!  For Criminal Minds!  Thank youuuu!!!  So unexpected but, I do believe I did manifest it.  I literally said to myself, "Huh, I wonder when my next paycheck will come.  Huh, wouldn't that be nice"....a few days later, bam.  :)

*  My first spoken word show is this Wednesday!  My my......how time flies when you're having cold feet.  Wish me luck ya'll.  I was thinking...wouldn't it be funny if I become the performer who doesn't ever want people at my shows?  ;D 


*  Casting director workshops anyone?  
I'm always looking for a great place to workshop.  I've been doing mine at Act Now but, I'm noticing that other places like the Actor's Key run their workshops a bit more intimately, which is what I like.  Like, it's just you, the reader, and casting director.  At Act Now, you're with the whole class (which is good so you get practice being in front of people) but, sometimes they have you vote on each other, which I feel is unnecessary.  

Well, I found a new place, The Actors Link.  There is a membership fee but, it's only $17 for the whole year and you get awesome discounts.  I found out from casting director, Scott David (Criminal Minds).  He loves workshopping there and says it's a great place.  I checked it out and signed up.  I like how they run it.  I'll be starting mine in October.  


*  I had an awesome photoshoot this past weekend.  If you're committed to 'working' or 'getting work', Sallie is the person to see.  She doesn't do your average headshots.  

Did you know that 'Stars', 'Leads' are packaged differently?  You can see it in their pictures.  Not your run of the mill kind...which is what most of us do....and you can get lost in the shuffle.  Just Google some of your favorite celebs or new break-out talents...look through their before and after images.  Sometimes you won't even be able to find their old headshots.  You'll notice that they jump from your typical to something specific and 'all grown up'.  Like they've been groomed, ripened for success.  

This is Sallie's forte.  Sallie gets real specific with who you are.  We spent weeks prior to the shoot where she even researched me (Googled me, watched my youtube videos, etc...) and came up with some looks I was missing.  All my headshots look the same.  I even had a meeting with my agent last week to give her updates on what I'll be doing in the next few months...she even agreed that most of my pictures didn't really showcase Me.  Who knew?  

So, I got 4 looks.  Sallie provides a full-service studio.  There was a whole team to work with me.  Seana for Hair/makeup, Stephanie to make sure the focus was clean and clear, Richard for lighting, and then Sallie, the photographer.  There's usually a wardrobe person too but, since Sallie and I worked on this for weeks, I didn't need one. 

I'm super excited about the pictures.  This couldn't have come at a better time.  Things are magically clicking into place for me...all I have to do is keep taking steps.  :)

This is a pic of me getting ready for my Look 2, business casual.   This is Seana, who did my hair and make-up...I couldn't have been more happier with her work.  I'm usually extremely picky about hair and make-up.  She's amazinggg.  I'd make her my personal make-up artist if I could...soon.  :)





Now on to the main attraction....

I made a vlog, a simple one....I don't have the brain power to write this week but, I had to get a post in. 

I get performance anxiety.  Bad.  




Have a great week.  



with LOVE,

Alex



3 comments:

  1. This was the last week, so... I missed your spoken words show!! But the good thing is that you survived! ;-) And now you are going to Florida!!

    Thanks always for spiritual and practical advice for the work! May I ask how much Sally's session was? I just got new headshots and I'm not too happy about them. :(

    Have a great trip!!! :-)

    -Kazumi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lady!! Thank u! I'm going to put up video of my spoken word next week. Sallie is amazing...I will email u with her price. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi lady!! Thank u! I'm going to put up video of my spoken word next week. Sallie is amazing...I will email u with her price. :)

      Delete