Monday, March 19, 2012

'The Giving Storyteller'




I'm gonna get a lil Brooklyn with this post.  Cuz I'm feeling sassy.  :)



It's not always about you.

I know.  We, actors don't like to hear that very much, do we?  At least I don't.  Because it's always about meeeeeeeee!  ;)

No, but seriously, it's not.  It's about the STORY.

I started my Michael Testa workshop.  He's 1/2 of Shaner/Testa casting.  I'm doing his 3 weeker.  First week was one-liners.

Oh, the dreaded one-liners.  I actually like them now.  Why?  Well, logistically, there's less to memorize.  Then because it's not about me!

I used to drive myself crazy thinking about how I can make this one-line just stand apart from everybody else's readings.  'What creative, bold choice can I make to show them that I'm a good actress?  I bet everyone's gonna be reading it like this so, I'll just read it like that.  Oh, but, that feels too big...now that feels like I'm doing nothing.  Aaaahhhhh, I don't know what the f*ck to do!'

Truth is, it's one frickin line...and trying to make a masterpiece out of it, is futile.

You wanna be a working actor?  Here's the only rule you'll ever need to know, check your Ego.

Yup.  And I only say this because I'm reminding myself of this.

We're actors.  We're meant to be one part of the storytelling.  We think because we're the 'faces', our sh*t don't stink...wrong.  It's about team work.  It's about everybody on board, having a collective mission to tell the best story possible.  That's what writers do...they write and re-write until the best story comes to life.  That's what directors do...they visually connect you to the story.  That's what actors do...we bring life to the story.  That's our job, to bring that element to storytelling.  We're not the only storytellers...we are one of them.

That's why one-liners are so painful.  Because you feel like you need to maximize that one line and your time in the room.  Because you feel like you gotta show everything now because 'this is it'.  Because it's all coming from a place of lack.  But, these are all untrue.  You don't have to maximize anything....it is what it is.  You don't gotta show everything at once...leave them curious for more.  I'm hearing this twice in a month...first from Sam Christensen and the second from Michael Testa....YOUR JOB ISN'T TO BOOK THE ROLE, YOUR JOB IS TO BOOK THE OFFICE.

You can't squeeze all that dynamic person you are into one line.  Don't even try.  It's not about showing who you are, because that will naturally happen as long as your intention is to be a giving storyteller.  If you care enough about the craft and want to get professional about it...take an on-camera audition class.

And the next time you walk into an audition and you feel like you're all up in your head, check yourself and ask yourself, "How can I be a giving storyteller here?"    


Hope that helps you with some auditions this week.  :)



with LOVE,

Alex








No comments:

Post a Comment