Thursday, December 8, 2011

Television, Here I Come! Week 49. 'Ego, checked.'


Hello World!  Hello Everyone!

I had a good week.

I saw my second shooting star in two weeks.  Back to back.  In LA.  Kind of cool, yes??  I made cute wishes and sent them with a kiss.  Here's to manifesting.  :)

I had an ADR session for Criminal Minds.  I went to Paramount Studios and recorded in their brand new 'Technicolor' building.  It was faaaaaancy.  I got there and was under the impression that I would be recording my one-line BUT.......I actually read a different copy!  They gave me more lines!!  They're going to use my new lines to segue into the next scene!!!  That was a pretty cool surprise.  Plus, I got to see how they cut the scene I'm in.  I think I did a good job!  ;)  Now, was I nervous??  Heck no.  Maybe a tad but, I wasn't worried.  I played the 'reporter', so the lines were something like, "................Reporting live for so and so, back to you at the studio" type of thing.  I studied Journalism and Broadcasting in school so it was good to dig that up again.  Yeah!  They loved it.  ;)

I got a callback for a commercial!  Yep!  For Toyota.  Guess what?  I had to decline.  Yes.  Decline.  Same day as my all day intensive hosting workshop.  Oh well.  Actually, I see it as a sign that I'm doing exactly what I'm suppose to be doing.  I know more will come to me...I'm not losing out on anything.  If it's meant to be, it'll be.  In fact, I'm sure more schedule conflicts like this will happen in the future...so, the lesson here is, "How am I going to make decisions that feel good to me?".  In this case, it was sticking to my first commitment, and believing that I will get callbacks abundantly.  :)  Done.

So glad I went to the workshop because I learned A LOT.

How was Marki Costello's hosting BOOTCAMP?

Well, let me tell you...it was a bootcamp alright.  Normally, the workshop is 2 days but, the December class was 1 day.  You get all the same info, so you can imagine, it was a bit overwhelming.  I'm still processing it, I think.  Marki didn't hold back...she delivered.  And she had such an energy that you couldn't help but take in everything she's teaching you, however, processing it is a different story.

We had about 15-20 people in class.  We learned what it means to be a good host, a good co-host, learned about balancing because hosting is really a balancing act, learned technical things like transitions, used the teleprompter, and learned a bit about how the hosting world works.  It encompassed a good overview of everything pertinent to hosting.

Now, that's what I think.  Here's how I feel.

I'm having mixed feelings.  I was so excited at first but, now, not so much.  I know why.  

My Ego got bruised.

I went into it thinking I was going to rock it.  "Oh, I totally got this.  I've been vlogging and I studied Journalism in school..I'm a natural!"

In the words of Rick James/Dave Chappelle, "What did the 5 fingers say to the face?  Slll-aap."  I got schooled ya'll.  I wasn't a natural.  I didn't feel like I was doing well.  I didn't feel like I was impressing Marki.  Every exercise felt more challenging and stressful.  I was falling apart inside.

I expect a lot from myself don't I?  I mean, did I really expect myself to do each exercise perfectly?  On the first  day of class?  With double the workload?  Let's cut Alex some slack.  Done.  Huh, I learned that lesson pretty quick.  :)

Now with a more truthful perspective, and more compassion for myself, I can appreciate the experience and see how it will affect me from here on.  Is this something I want to pursue?  Or not pursue?  And not because I don't think I'm good enough...because I think I'd be really good at it ;) ...but, is it something I want or not want?  Breaking into the hosting world takes work...and it's just as competitive as acting.  Marki says that you don't need a lick of talent but you gotta be willing to put in the work.  Divide and conquer and give hosting a try?  OR just hone in on one thing...acting?  Something to think about.  But, in the end, I learned my lessons.  That's the whole point, isn't it?

If hosting is something you're interested in, I highly recommend Marki.  She knows her stuff and she's all about helping.  Just be ready to work and put in the work.
www.becomeahost.com

I start Larry Moss intensive today.  I'm excited and nervous.  Oh boy, another week of getting my ass whooped.  I'm ready.  Here I go!  Tell you all how it goes next week!



Every being has the potential to fully express the Highest Potential within themselves. To do this, all fear, attachment, ego, pride, envy, hate, judgment and desire must be surrendered to acceptance of the living moment.
Jackson Kiddard




Have a wonderful week everyone.  :)

with LOVE,

Alex



























2 comments:

  1. Focus on one I say Acting :0) Sorry I missed your birthday I hope you had a great day.


    Later

    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. Thanks E! I'm still mulling it over but, I'm sure it'll all work out. Thanks dude. :)

    ReplyDelete