Monday, August 29, 2011

Television, here I come! Week 34. 'Finding Representation'




** Announcement **

Accepting submissions for September ACCOUNTABILITY BUDDY!  My current buddy, Sean and I have been doing so well that I would like to keep this up.  If you're interested, just email me with your name, phone number, and top 3 goals (short or long term).  And all others who submitted last month will automatically be a part of the drawing again.  No need to re-submit.  :)
alexandra@alexandrachoi.com

Deadline for submission is September 7th, midnight!  Here's to getting things done!

For my new readers, if you're wondering "What accountability buddy?"  Here's the post to catch you up.   :)
'Who Wants A Buddy?!?!'




Finding representation.

I decided to change this week's post last minute.  I am writing this post now because I just received an email about a meeting for possible theatrical representation.  Yahhhooooooooooo!

I did two agent showcases in the last two weeks.  I did them both at Act Now, where I take my workshops.  What's cool about these showcases is that you get to work with a CD the first week, he/she gives you notes or directions.  Then, the second week, you and the CD read in front of agents.

Then, it gets even cooler.  Each agent receives an evaluation sheet for each actor.  On the eval sheet are 3 questions and a general comment section.  The 3 questions are:

1.  Do you like this actor's headshot?   Yes or No.
2.  Are you interested in this actor contacting you for representation?  Yes or No.
3.  Do you want to this actor to email you his/her reel?  Yes or No.

Why do I like this so much?  Because you get a straight answer.  I don't have to wonder about what they're (agents) thinking....I know.  And some agents do give you honest, constructive feedback...whether it's about your headshot or your scene.  Just take everything with a grain of salt...every agent will have his/her OWN opinion.  Take what you want and leave the rest and keep it moving.

And FYI, I didn't have any agents say they were interested in representing me.  But, some did want to see my reel.  So, I sent follow-up emails to all agents, regardless they asked for it or not.  I thanked them for their time and linked my reel.  AHEM!  Thank GOD I put together my reel a couple of weeks ago!  Preparation meeting opportunity!  That's how I roll!  :)

Follow-ups!  Do them!  I had 2 out of 6 agents that specifically said NOT to follow-up.   Okay, fine.  But, all the others, I sent them an email the next day.  AND, believe you me, if I don't get signed in the near future, I'll be sure to stay in touch with those contacts...because you never know.

So what am I learning thus far about finding representation?

*  Get proactive.  Do YOUR part. What's your part?  If you're looking for representation, start compiling a target list.  Get imdbPRO if you don't already because you can research your target contacts.  I look at their StarMeter ranking and their roster.  How many clients do they have?  Do they already have an Asian actress in a similar category as me?  And keep your list short...under 10 for sure.  No more mass mailing...instead, take some power back as the artist.  And save money.  Know who you want and don't settle.  Get specific!

*  Do showcases.  But, research them first.  Ask around, ask friends.  Showcases are so Hit or Miss but, they do work.  I know many actors who found their agents through showcases.  So, once you have found a place you're happy to 'invest' in, just keep at it.  Just like with casting director workshops, you just gotta put in the time.  As long as you keep doing it, you're on your way.

*  Do CD workshops.  Why?  The whole point of having an agent is to get you in front of casting directors.  Now, if you're already building relationships with CDs, you're making the agents job easier.  Who wouldn't appreciate that?  And I have heard stories where non-represented actors get lucky and book jobs on their own because of CD workshops, and agents start calling them!  Yup.

*  Referrals.  Agents have said that referrals go a long way.  If you have someone who wants to refer you to an agent, then how lucky are you.  BUT before you take the next step and schedule a meeting...may I make some suggestions?  Be ready.  You are not only representing yourself but, you're also a reflection of the person who referred you.  Many agents want to 'develop talent' but, this doesn't mean starting from scratch.  Time is money, and money is money, especially with agents....so, if they're able to get you out as soon as possible, the better your chances.

Here's a checklist of what you could have ready.

  - Headshot and resume.
    If you're not happy with your current headshot or you just need them updated...get it done.  Don't wait until you get the meeting first.  Many actors would rather wait until the meeting to see what the agent wants them to do...which photographer to use or which 'looks' they should focus on.  Put yourself in the agent's shoes.  Would you rather represent someone who seems 'lost', or someone who seems to know what they want.  The latter for me.  Because then, it's just a matter of guidance.  Agents are like casting directors...sometimes, they don't even know what they're looking for, so if you can provide them with a clear product, SOLD!  As for resumes, just be honest.

   - Reel.
     Boy, am I glad I got this done a couple of weeks ago.  I remember feeling so incompetent as an actress whenever someone asked me for my reel and my answer was "I'm sorry, I don't have one at the time."  Because, I could have.  And a reel is just as important as your headshot and resume.  Agents, in particular want to see this.  Do what you gotta do to get a reel together.  If not a reel, then at least an audition reel.  A reel should be professional and polished.  And it should make you proud....because it's showcasing your best stuff.  However, if you're not thoroughly proud or you financially can't swing it right now, then your other option is an audition reel.  It's pretty much you sitting in front of camera and reading with someone off camera....like in an audition.  If you can, make sure the quality is decent....meaning, use a good camera and it's audible.

   - Monologues.
     I'm not a big fan but, what are you gonna do...some still ask for it.  So, have two under your belt so you're prepared.  A comedic and dramatic.  For my meeting this week, the agent's asst specified to have a 1-2 minute monologue ready, in case.  Okie dokie.  Look through plays or get one of those monologue books from Samuel French.  Be ready.

*  Believe in yourself and don't settle.  If you meet 100 agents, you will get 100 opinions.  You can't let 100 different opinions persuade you about you.  You know what's best for you and stick to doing what it takes to honor you and your dream.  When you can make that commitment to yourself, doors will open and people will appear to help you.  I know I'll be walking into the meeting this week with my own checklist.  Not only does it matter if he wants to represent me, but, what's more important is that do I want to be represented by him?  I'm extremely grateful for the meeting and I hope it works out however, if it's not a good match, then that's ok too.  I'm not afraid to hear no or to say no.  A 'No' can sometimes be the best thing.  So, with an open heart and mind, wish me luck this week.  :)


Update:  I got new headshots done!  I just shot them Sunday.


This Week's Goal:  Talk to my buddy everyday!  Retouch and get my new headshots printed.  Agent meeting!  And I start Margie Haber this week!  Twice a week, for one month.   Margie Haber is one of the best for auditioning.  I'll let you know how it goes.  And of course, more Kundalini.  :)



Have a thriving week everyone.  :)


with LOVE,

Alex


No comments:

Post a Comment